Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Election Time

Okay, so it's election time in Canada. On June 28th we'll have a new PM (perhaps) and because I'm now eighteen, I can vote. Of course, I haven't gotten my card yet but I know that I am going to vote, despite the fact that so many young people are disenchanted and/or apathetic to the government.

I think it's important to vote because then you have the right to complain about the gov if they screw something up. Besides, every vote counts, especially in this close a race.

The problem I have now is choosing who to vote for because I've ruled out not voting. The debate on tv didn't help much because first off, not all the parties were represented. The Green Party leader Jim Harris was all set to debate with the other leaders but he didn't even receive an invite. Second of all, in the debate the leaders did what you expected them to do. They avoided answering any questions by simply asking more questions or answering a question that hadn't been asked. I'm sure this kind of roundabout talk really helped the undedcided votes come to a decision (myself being one of them).

The leaders also tended to talk over one another and interrupt whenever possible. Harper looked like he was wearing a wig and somehow reminded me of Marty McFly's dad. Martin kept dancing from foot to foot, Layton drove me crazy because he kept gesturing with his hands and Duceppe looked extrememly angry throughout the entire debate.

What have I gained from this experience? What have undecided Canadian voters gotten out of this? I would say, absolutely nothing. There was no clear winner but there was some mud-slinging. This of course made me wonder where these leaders got their manners from. Perhaps they should be hit with nerf bats every time they insult another party leader. I mean, what does insulting do? It just makes you look bad and creates arguments.

So I would say that I spent two hours listening to four grown men argue about how wrong the other was and how they were going to be the next government. I can't see how they wouldn't have had a headache from all the shouting by the time it was over. I know I did.

I had hoped that writing this little rant would have made my decision a little more clear but it hasn't. It looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere to determine who to vote for in the 2004 Election.

Quote: "There exists a limit to the force even the most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengeance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences."

- Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

No comments: