Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An open letter to the CBC


To Whom it May Concern,

When I heard the CBC couldn't reach a deal to renew the contract for the Hockey Night in Canada them, I was frustrated, disappointed and angry. For as long as I can remember I've listened to that song on Saturday nights. As many other Canadians have claimed, the theme is like a second national anthem. It's a piece of Canadian memorabilia, a piece of our identity.

How could you possibly have let it go? I'm wracking my brain to understand. I know the composer, Dolores Claman, was asking for a lot of money but was it worth the headache? My extended family was discussing the matter at dinner one night and they were unanimous in their belief that you made the wrong move.

The exit of the song obviously won't lose you any viewers and hockey will continue as always but it's going to leave a big hole. Your idea of replacing it with a song from a composing contest is, in my mind, ridiculous. Why bother? Nothing will compare and whichever song you choose will be maligned.

What bothers me the most is that I love the CBC. You're my alarm in the morning. I listen to various programs. I watch George Stromboulopoulos on "The Hour" and spend a lot of time relaxing with Radio 2.

The only consolation for me is that CTV, a rival company, purchased the rights. It won't be the same though and I feel sorry for those who won't grow up hearing that song on Saturday night.

Sincerely,

theduckthief

No comments: