Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Sunday Rundown

Reading: I'm still working on "A Game of Thrones" but I'm almost finished and I already have the review ready. I'm noticing a lot more in terms of details and world history and mythology. There are more connections between characters than I realized. I think this is mainly because in my first read through I was racing to get to the end and find out what happened instead of enjoying the writing.

While up island I bought four books. Yes I know, bad duckthief but wait, they were less than ten dollars and three were on my BTRBID list. Next I think I'll start "Candide" by Voltaire. It's short and a great satire.

Watching: I didn't get out to "Indiana Jones" unfortunately but I'm hoping after I figure out my schedule for this week that I can go. Otherwise I watched "Superman" last night and Hilary Clinton's concession speech.

"Superman" was a little cheesy in places and his costume looked more like a circus outfit with the bright red and sky blue colours. But Christopher Reeve as always was wonderful.

Hilary Clinton's speech was very well done though I did think she was heavy handed with her repetition of "elect Barack Obama as the next president". I don't know if her speech writers were trying to emulate Churchill's "we will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them on the streets" speech but it seemed similar. The problem with Clinton's speech was she hit people over the head with that phrase until I wanted to turn off the tv.

I've been paying attention to the campaign in the US because whether a Democrat or a Republican is elected, it affects Canada. I think it's ridiculous how long they campaign for. Eighteen months is enough to exhaust anyone including the candidates, the public and the media. Aren't they concerned about saturation? I've heard so much about the election north of the border that I'm sick to death of hearing about it. Just get it over with and then you stop spending millions on your campaigns.


Listening To:



Thinking: BC has the highest gas prices in the entire country. I need a car that runs on brain power or irrelevant facts or movie trivia or potato peels. It's bound to be less than $139.9/L.

No comments: