Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Sunday Rundown

Reading:


















I'm currently working my way through three different books, two for books clubs.

I'm nearly finished "Spain" and I've just started re-reading "Dune" and got my hands on a copy of Diderot's "The Nun". I've never had such a problem getting hold of a book before. There was one copy available in the whole district.

Watching:

I just re-watched "The Goonies" a few weeks ago and then found this most awesome trailer mash-up. Tell me you don't love it.



Thinking:

Why does a word for slaughterhouse have to sound so nice? "Abattoir" sounds like it should mean the same as "boudoir". It doesn't though. It's a disguised meaning for "slaughterhouse" thanks to its French origin.

There are lots of words out there that stand in for some ugly meaning but I came across this one today while reading and decided to look it up.

Listening To:

I'm going to go retro here and introduce you to a song from a film called "On the Town" (1949). It was the first musical feature film to be shot on location so the background you see really is New York. Frank Sinatra and Betty Garrett star in this scene. I've seen this film before but I've never seen this part before so now I think I'll have to take another look at it.

Frank and Betty are adorable here and so is this song: "You're Awful".



Coming Up:

I'm sorry for getting this up so late but I was busy all day and I am so tired. Here's a picture from what I was doing all day, a hint for tomorrow's photo post.

No comments: