Monday, May 04, 2009

The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports

I thought I'd skip the Rundown this week in favour of some news about horses that I heard the radio.

Now, my mother has been horse-crazy her entire life. I've always found myself only interested in sports when it comes to the endgame, where it really counts. But even so, an event that lasts less than two minutes is hardly apt to keep my attention. Unless it's spectacular. This clip of 2009's Kentucky Derby has had more than 300 000 views in twelve hours.

I've long wanted to see the Derby in person while sipping a mint julip from my private box, the sun shaded from my eyes by a fabulously huge hat. YouTube is as close as I've ever gotten.

My interest this year comes from the fact that the horse in Canadian bred and born as is his trainer, David Cotey. It was the second biggest upset in Derby history but I won't spoil it for you. I'll let you enjoy the moment and only wish I could see the looks of "what just happened?" on all your faces. Just watch for him to make his move around 1:48.



I love YouTube for the fact that those who've come after the fact can experience moments in history as if they just happened yesterday. I can feel the same exhilaration and panic and joy as someone felt more than thirty five years ago when the event took place. If you think this year's win was spectacular, let me introduce you to my new role model, Secretariat, the most amazing athlete I've ever seen. I would love to have witnessed his amazing performance in '73.

No comments: