My blog turned 5 a few days ago and will be enrolled in Blog Elementary in the fall. The little tyke just can't wait to play at the rice table.
This is the mess I made when baking. It's not the worst mess in the world but I had to learn how to use my semi-retro Mix-Master. The thing worked pretty well but I had to go and buy a large bowl as the set didn't come with one. Fortunately yesterday I was able to pick up one for less than four bucks at a local second-hand store. I also picked up an April Wine and a Nat King Cole record as well as a book with "Hamlet", "King Lear", "Othello" and "that other tragedy we don't speak of by name". Such a good haul!
Anyway, I decided to make this delicious looking Strawberry Cake that I completely and totally stole from The Kitchen Sink Recipes. Check out the site, it'll make you hungry.
This is the cake after I had my way with it. Mu hahah! If you're interested in the recipe here it is:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
2 tbsp raw or sanding sugar
1. heat over to 350. butter 10 inch pie plate.
2. sift flour, baking powder together. DO NOT ADD TO BOWL YET!
3. put butter and sugar in bowl, cream until fluffy
4. mix in egg, milk and vanilla
5. gradually mix in flour mixture
6. transfer to pie plate, add strawberries, sprinkle sugar over berries
7. bake for ten minutes. reduce heat to 325. bake for hour or until golden and firm to touch
8. enjoy! (preferably with ice cream!)