Monday, July 05, 2004

Happy Belated Canada Day!

Okay so I'm four days late but I've been busy. I turned on the TV on Thursday to see the feed from Ottawa where everybody was already celebrating (3 hour time difference). The PM and a large crowd were sitting on the lawn outside of the parliament buildings watching the performances on stage. I have to admit I've never watched the Ottawa celebrations before because I've never gotten up early enough. It was interesting and the performances involved all types and ages of people.

In the afternoon I went down to the park because that's where the band was performing. When I got there, there was so much red and white it hurt my eyes. Some people were wearing flags and capes, others had painted their faces and there were lots of booths set up with ethnic food, clothing, toys, jewelery, etc.

The whole day I felt as if gravity wasn't affecting me anymore and I had a big smile on my face. The day just felt so good and I couldn't have asked for nicer weather. It makes me proud to see so many people out, loudly proclaiming their nationality like that. I couldn't imagine living in a better country in the world and I don't think I'd want to. Canada is much too wonderful a place to leave for any long period of time. Besides, I would get homesick for the Rockies, the smiling faces, Tim Horton's of course and all things Canadian.

Something I learned today is that we're the only country that eats Glosettes. We call sneakers runners and Honey Nut Cheerios is Canadian. I guess it just goes to show that you really do learn something new every day. I mean, it might be a piece of information that's utterly useless and cluttering up your brain but at least you learned something. That's the important part, right?

No comments: