Saturday, September 11, 2004

The World Cup of Hockey 2004 - Semi Finals

Wow, that's all I can say. I just watched the last bit of the Semi-Finals between Canada and the Czechs. We were tied two all and then practically the moment I walk in the room we score which I was so happy about.

Then six seconds later the Czechs score tying it three all. Personally I think we played like crap in the third period compared to the first and second. We practically gave them the third goal because of piss poor playing. The entire time I couldn't take my eyes off the TV screen and I was almost tempted to start biting my nails because of how stressed out I felt.

Usually I don't watch sports because I find the whole idea very boring. But ever since the 2002 Winter Olympics and the men's and women's hockey games I've been hooked. I mean, of course hockey's always been a big part of my life. It's practically a religion here but I didn't used to get so worked up about it. But when the stakes are high and it's my country's team, I go nuts.

Update:

So the third period ended and we were going to have to go to sudden death and I had just enough time to gulp supper down before overtime started.

Everything was happening too fast for me. I was clenching my hands and we couldn't get it out of our zone. I wanted to stand up, I wanted to yell at the tv screen, I wanted to jump up and down because I was so anxious about the game. There were too many close calls and Luongo I think saved the game with his saves. After a shot that could have cost us the game I felt like wiping my forehead even though it wasn't sweaty because I felt the need to express...something. I got so worked up about the game and I felt as if my heart was going to pound right out of my chest.

So we finally get it out of our end and Lecavalier makes a break. He's skating out there and the Czech defense tries to hem him in. He can't get a shot on goal and almost gets pulled down by a Czech player. So he sort of swipes the puck out to a team mate and they try to make a shot on goal, Lecavalier gets in front of the net and shoots, half the crowd rises to their feet...but it's a false alarm. Then, when it seems as if he's too far away to do much damage, he shoots, over the top of a fallen Czech and scores!

Everyone went wild, including Wayne. So the other half of the arena rises and started shouting and yelling and I know I just went nuts. I got such a rush from watching hockey and watching us win. But I don't know if that's just sad because most people jump out of airplanes so they can 'feel the rush' or if that's a natural response to hockey.

The game ended only a few minutes ago so I think it's going to take a while to sink in. But all I can say is, Finland, you're going down!

Quote: "Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive."
~Stephen Leacock

No comments: