Friday, September 24, 2004

What Country are You?

So I was surfing the net and came upon a site that had a whole bunch of quizzes on it. I took a whole bunch of quizzes and then stumbled upon this 'What Country are You?' quiz.

I swear I wasn't trying and though I wanted to end up with Canada I figured I'd end up with another country that I knew very little about.

But lo and behold, I did get the country I wanted and though I think the little blurb is quite funny, I find it difficult to believe that I just happened to get Canada. Mysterious coincidences...

But this design below isn't very old. 'Until the adoption of the maple leaf flag, the flags that flew over Canada represented the European nations that had power in Canada.' There have actually been four flags before this one to fly over Canada.
St. George's Cross: Carried over by Cabot in 1497 when he reached the East coast of Canada.

The Fleur-de-lis: Flown by the French when Canadian land was claimed for the King of France.

Royal Union Flag: Replaced the Fleur-de-lis after 1759 when Canada was ceded to the United Kingdom.

Red Ensign: Combined the Union Jack with the Canadian shield of Arms. Variations of this flag were flown from 1870 until 1965.

In 1964, the Centennial was coming up and PM Pearson wanted Canada to create and adopt a new flag. Tons of people were involved in the selection process (The Canadian public, heraldry experts, members of parliament) and many designs were drawn up. There was also a lot of controversy involved in the choosing of a new flag in the country. If you want to see some video footage about the flag then check this out.

Incidentally, next year is the 40th birthday of Canada's flag.



You're Canada!

People make fun of you a lot, but they're stupid because you've got a much better life than they do. In fact, they're probably just jealous.You believe in crazy things like human rights and health care and not dying in the streets, and you end up securing these rights for yourself and others. If it weren't for your weird affection for ice hockey, you'd be the perfect person.

Take
the Country Quiz at the Blue Pyramid

No comments: