Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Meme: I've never read...

Today was the first day of school for high school and elementary school children in BC. I was looking through my gigantic To Be Read Book List and was disheartened to see how many authors I've never picked up. It's embarrassing and in some cases blasphemous but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of honesty. I know it's been done before but I've decided to turn this into a meme so I don't feel like such an illiterate dunce.

I've never read...


Dante
Margaret Atwood
Joseph Conrad
James Cooper
Charles Dickens
Emily Dickenson
Feodor Dostoyevsky
George Eliot
William Faulkner
Henry Fielding
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Goethe
Thomas Hardy
Ernest Hemingway
Victor Hugo
Henry James
James Joyce
Kerouac
D.H. Lawrence
Jack London
Melville
Nietzsche
Plath
Proust
Sir Walter Scott
George Bernard Shaw
Steinbeck
W.M. Thackeray
Henry David Thoureau
Tolstoy
Evelyn Waugh
Virginia Woolf

It's disgusting really. I've been reading all my life and I could use the excuse that my focus has been on sci-fi and fantasy but that would make me a hypocrite. I haven't read any Arthur C. Clarke, Andre Norton, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, etc.

And with that I would love to tag a bunch of bloggers but I have no idea if they read this blog. So instead I leave it to your discretion. Will you allow your reading habits to be put under the microscope or does it even matter if you haven't read the "classics"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always like taking part in things! Yay for inclusion! My list was all of those people except for Dickens. That was, until University, at which point it dropped to:

James Cooper
William Faulkner
Henry Fielding
Goethe
Victor Hugo
Henry James
Kerouac
Jack London
Melville
Nietzsche
Proust
W.M. Thackeray
Evelyn Waugh

I have read all of the Mr Men books, however.

theduckthief said...

I had to think about that Mr. Men thing for a moment. Do you mean the books like Mr. Tickle and Mr. Clumsy? I love those books!

mister anchovy said...

There are plenty of authors on that list I haven't read....but a few I consider must-reads as well, such as Conrad (Lord Jim is awesome), Steinbeck, and Dostoevsky.