Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How many Book Challenges have you failed?

I love signing up for book challenges. If reading wasn't involved I would call it an unhealthy addiction. My excuse is it encourages me to read outside my regular scope of books. But I must confess that I have an unbroken streak of five failed challenges. My intentions are good but I just seem to run out of time and then the challenge is over.

And that isn't even the worst part. I'm still signing up for them!

Over at Breadcrumb Reads I'm working on 'Reading Shakespeare: a play a month'. I'm doing well, I've finished "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and plan on watching the 1999 movie version to see it acted out.

I've also signed up for the Les Miserables Readalong at Kate's Library. I'm actually behind on this, not having even cracked open the book yet. At this point I'm four weeks behind but again, I've read the first couple hundred pages before so I think I'll be okay.

I've posted links to my other failed book challenges below. Am I crazy to keep signing up for these? How many challenges have you failed and why?

Classics Reading Challenge

The TBR Challenge

By the Decade Challenge

Chunkster Challenge

Everything Austen Challenge

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I've never signed up for a book challenge, but I've failed in reading many books. For intstance, I've tried reading Umberto Eco's Foucoult's Pendulam twice and stopped at the same spot both times. I can't even tell you why. More recently, I abandoned a Phillip Roth novel. I thought it was a good book. It was just a good book I didn't want to read. Sometimes the time won't be right for reading a book, so I'll put it down, only to enjoy it years later when the time became inexplicably right.

theduckthief said...

I've failed at a different Eco book, "In the Name of the Rose". For my dad it's "Catch 22".

There are books that I find I get more out of years later. Others I reread every few years and find more to enjoy, like "Dune".