Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The NHL strike is over!

I don't know how many of you read this blog so I'll just mention a few months ago I posted a topic about Hockey. It seemed like the players and the owners were trying to use outdated techniques from a fictional novel (Frankenstein) to revive the season.

But the drought is over ladies and gentleman. The Hockey Gods have spoken!

This reminded me of the blackouts in 2003. When this happened, the news made reference to another famous blackout that I think was in '69 and nine months later, babies! So I thought this time the players had decided to spend $100 000 over the next 20 years on children instead of playing hockey.

But that madness is over now. Hockey is back, a six-year agreement has been struck. But things will be different come Fall. Players will be struggling with beer bellies obtained over the summer. Fans will be cheering from hoverchairs and the zambonis will be driven by unionized penguins. Now, it may seem strange and a bit scary but these were the conditions set so you'll just have to get used to them.

Some things I didn't agree with that I've heard about the new deal but haven't been confirmed yet are more teams and a larger playoff pool. I think we need fewer teams, with talent concentrated in places where there are dedicated fans. Any thoughts?

No comments: