Friday, April 04, 2008

Graduation

Today I went to the last class of my undergraduate degree. It ended early and when I walked outside I felt, nothing. I wasn't relieved, I wasn't sad, I wasn't happy.

The sun was shining, the slightest chill of a breeze brushed by and there were storm clouds to the north. Five years. Five long years going to class, writing assignments and working for tuition money, had passed me by. I never really thought this day would come and I never imagined it would take this long.

I leaned out over a long wall and watched birds flying by, heard the chatter of people behind me. It was then I noticed an incredible lightness. I felt, unburdened would be the best word. I've been in school since I was five and what I loved best in those carefree days was Ants on a Log at snack time, long afternoon naps and living as if no one was watching.

I can't go back to those days of course but I do have a new course to plot. Way back in August I think I posted how scared I was of this day and what it meant. I don't think it's set in yet because I'm still running smooth. There are nagging thoughts in the back of my mind though. I need to look for a new place to live, seek out full-time employment, consider my career options and decide what I want to do with my car.

I still have exams and Convocation to worry about but for now I'm doing well. I'm already stacking books and DVDs into piles. I haven't been able to read and watch as much as I like but soon, soon I'll be free to dig into these.

For anyone looking to go to university I highly recommend the experience. I have met so many great people and learned and discovered things I never would have otherwise. I'm stepping out richer in mind, yet poorer in pocket. For anyone still slogging through university, keep at it. One day it will all be over and you'll look back, wondering where the time went. For anyone else who's graduated, you should be commended for sticking it out.

4 comments:

Melwyk said...

Congratulations! That's a lot of hard work that just paid off. I recommend university too, for the experience of all that time focused on learning. I loved my undergrad degree.

Sorry, I don't know how to fix this template. It's all a bit foreign to me too.

theduckthief said...

Thanks! I do love my undergrad degree. I joke with my friends that I can't really do anything with it but it's want I wanted. I learned so much.

teflonjedi said...

Congrats! Now, onwards, eh? The challenge doesn't end here, as you said...but, enjoy! "The road is calling..."

mister anchovy said...

I wouldn't trade a second of my university experience. Although it was quite some time ago, many of my closest friends still are people I met during that time.