Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Sunday Rundown


Reading: I was reading "Tommy" by Richard Holmes but it's long and technical and heavy slogging. It'll be in the review. So I switched over to "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell and I am of two minds every time I pick up the book. On the one hand, I think he's a genius, on the other, I'm neon green with envy. How can one person write so well in so many styles and forms. As a certain tv show would say, grr-arg!

Listening to: Frank Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" album. Besides trying to read every book possible and taking on way too many challenges and joining too many online book clubs, I've also decided to wade my way through the 1000 Albums you must listen to before you die. I'd like to think I have so much time on my hands because I'm out of school but I'm planning on moving out, I'm low on funds and I need to look for a new job. Who am I kidding, I have no time.

My desk calendar is stuck on March 22 because I lost it under a pile of papers and the trivia for the day is about Catholic Gravestone Symbols. Apparently
figures with chalices and their hands on their breasts denote Priests. Okay, that's simple enough to figure out. Figures with crozier, mitre and pontificals denote Prelates. This is where I got lost. A mitre is a big staff with a cross on it right? Or is that a crozier? And what's a Prelate? Is that one of the levels of the priesthood? Okay wait, Wikipedia says they're high-ranking members of the clergy. Regular prelates are abbots and archetypal prelates are bishops. Why don't they just say abbot or bishop then.



And I've just proved that my knowledge of the Catholic faith is next to nothing. A mitre is a ceremonial headdress. The crozier is a pastoral staff.

No comments: