Sunday, October 23, 2011

Catch Up

Hello

It's been awhile. I've moved and finally have internet again. In the intervening period I've spent some time finding some amazing things online.

Keely Smith with "Stormy Weather"

I couldn't tell you how I discovered her but I like her because she has such a powerful voice. She projects and puts such emotion into her songs. I'm just sorry she isn't more well known now. Most likely she was overshadowed by her partnership with her musician husband, Louis Prima.



The Mills Brothers with "Basin Street Blues"

These guys are amazing. They worked from 1928 - 1982. That. is. insane! Their voices are amazingly mellow and distinct. They were known for doing instrumental sounds with their voices and their harmonies! Just listen!



Thomas Tallis with "If Ye Love Me"

He was a composer active during the Elizabethan period. As a rule I love choral music and this, it's just perfect.



Luisa Tetrazzini with "Una voce poco fa"

I distintly remember listening to Pavorotti and then getting distrated for the next few hours by various opera singers and how they've been rated by the opera community. I stumbled upon Tetrazinni. The recording is scratchy but the purity and clarity and range of her voice is amazing.



I've also been catching up on my shows as the tv season has started up again.

Community "Remedical Chaos Theory"

This is one of the best episodes I've seen for the show. It was crazy and funny and heartfelt, the best of all worlds.



Downton Abbey Season 2

Oh my. The British always make the best tv, including this beautiful and heartbreaking series. The dialogue, the costumes, the setting, everything, especially the time period are superb. I've been catching up on Season 2 and I can't tell you how much I am hoping for a Mary & Matthew reconciliation. Every episode I wring my hands in their scenes together. Julian Fellowes isn't going to make it easy for them, especially since the Spanish Flu has yet to rear it's head.




Sherlock Season 2

I discovered this by accident and love it! I can't imagine anyone else playing these iconic characters apart from Martin and Cumberbatch now. But you know what? 3 episodes do not a season make! Season 1 was too short and now you're making me wait until 2012!? Not acceptable. I only have clips like this to console me for the meantime.



The Supersizers

This is an amazing show that charts the history of food through the ages. A food critic and broadcaster will dress for the era and test the food by actually consuming a day's worth of food from that period. I love this show so much! It's crazy to see how much the attitudes and the meals change throughout time. And these guys are hilarious in their reactions to the food.






"Thank you Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse


I've also started reading P.G. Wodehouse and I am blown away. The man is hilarious and his use of diction while mostly stuck in its own era, has surprising moments of modernity.



That's all I have for now but I'm glad to get back into a routine with the blog. I'm so behind with book reviews it's not even funny.










"Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake

The story has been spoiled for me as I watched the miniseries several years ago. Peake's diction and descriptino is sumptuous and original. I can't wait to finish it and move on to the next book in the series.

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

When I was growing up, my father listened to his Mills Brothers records a lot, so much so that at one point I hoped I never heard them again. But today, listening to the video posted here, it's easy to understand why my father enjoyed them, as a gentle respite from the more frenetic Dixieland which was his other passion.

theduckthief said...

They are very appealing! Your dad's got good taste.